Yesterday I came across this recipe at Clean Eating Magazine, and just had to try it! One because I am so tired of tossing those last few bananas that are just too ripe for me to eat, as I like mine green. And two, well I wanted a fun, healthy treat for me and The Amazing Jeff this week that did not involve ice cream.
Chocolate Chunk Banana Bread
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- Pinch of sea salt
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed with a fork
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 1/4 cup safflower oil
- 1/3 cup chopped dark chocolate
- Olive oil cooking spray, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, flaxseed and salt.
- In a large bowl, with a hand mixer, beat bananas until smooth. Add egg whites and beat until combined. Gradually mix in applesauce, honey and safflower oil.
- Mix dry ingredients into banana mixture; stir in chocolate.
- Mist a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray. Pour batter into pan and bake for 45 minutes, or until browned on top.