DIY: Maxi skirt/Dress


A few weeks ago I managed to score this dress at Goodwill, I thought it was ugly, but had amazing potential for a maxi skirt/dress!  That was a lot of fabric for $5!  So I snapped it up and got around to re-constructing it the other day.




First I cut the dress just under the armpit for the maxi.




Then I cut what was the cowl neck off of the dress for a later project…it will be a perfect black knee length maternity skirt once I attach a waistband on it.  But that’s a post for another time!


Next I got my elastic and some thread…I did not (gasp) have any black, but since I am only attaching the skirt to the elastic, the pretty silver will not be seen.




I pinned the skirt to the elastic, all the way around.  Then I sewed the elastic together with a zig zag stitch.  Then I sewed the skirt onto the elastic, since the skirt was slightly wider than the elastic was long there is a bit of gathering, and that is perfect!




Again, using a zig zag stitch, the help the stretching.




It fits snugly just under the bust, as I did not want to hem it to lose any length on the skirt and end up with a short dress.




For the dress I just hike it up over the enormous girls I have thanks to The Bump, and add a skinny belt.  I also flip the elastic under so that you cannot see it.  I did that for the skirt as well, to avoid tripping on the skirt.



It is so comfy…I think I will be living in this skirt this summer…and making a few more!!


2 thoughts on “DIY: Maxi skirt/Dress”

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s