As you might remember The Bump is an SUA baby. We’ve known this for a while now and were not very concerned about how it might affect her as she was progressing normally and there were no problems thus far. SUA means single umbilical artery. Most babies have umbilical cords with 2 arteries, and one vein. In the Bump’s case her umbilical cord only have 1 vein and 1 artery. So often times babies with SUA don’t get the nutrition they need to grow, and can can be smaller.
But on Friday we found out that the SUA is restricting her growth.
I was sort of expecting it, as well…my bump is quite small for 7 months. I kept thinking I had expected the bump to be more obvious. It’s still small enough that people don’t notice it…apparently. So I was not really surprised when the OB came in to the ultrasound room and informed us that The Bump was small for her gestational age. But I was not prepared for just how small she is. She currently weighs 2.1 pounds, and is in the 3rd percentile for growth. That scared me a lot. So The Bump clearly has an Intrauterine Growth Restriction, directly caused by the SUA. My little peanut is not getting what she needs to grow. At her anatomy ultrasound she was measuring at normal, so something happened in the last 10 weeks to slow her growth. So it’s back to the drawing board as far as the diet goes. Time to rethink and reassess what I am eating. I will be adding another shake to my daily routine, and a prenatal Omega 3 too.
I tried not to panic as the OB told us this news, but I was scared. I listened as she let us know what the next steps were
- Weekly Non-Stress Tests for the remainder of the pregnancy
- A follow up ultrasound in 3 weeks.
I also have to monitor her daily and do kick counts, which could take up to 2 hours. The OB and the nurses threw so much information at me that it was hard to take it all in. It helps to know that I was quite small at birth. 5 lb 11.5 oz and 14 inches long, and I was 3 weeks late. But I believe the reason that I was small is that I am fairly certain that my mother smoked her entire pregnancy with me. Smoking causes low-birth weight babies. It is also quite possible that I was SUA as well…30 years ago they were still x-raying expectant mothers!
We knew that the SUA might affect her growth, because the OB told us…but remember the Midwife told us that it wouldn’t affect her at all? Yeah…wrong. She also told me not to count kicks, or freak out if I don’t feel her move for a day or two. Wrong again. I have another midwife appointment tomorrow, so I am curious to see if she brings up the news from Friday, mostly to see if she even checked my file prior to seeing me. I also have the glucose test tomorrow. Wooo.
So After hearing that news, and the OB telling us that The goal is for me not to still be pregnant on my due date, we’ve been re-thinking our birth plan. Needless to say I have TONS of questions for how this will affect our proposed birth plan. And thinking of transferring care to the clinic at the hospital just because then my records would all be pretty much centralized.
- But we are still planning on doing a water birth, if permitted. And we want a minimum of 2 hours of skin to skin contact…if she’s not too early and has to go to the NICU. And in that case, we’d be rooming-in.
- I still plan of taking the placenta home, and encapsulating it. I think it will be vital for both The Bump and my postpartum recovery. I would like to do this myself, as I think it would be a really good experience for me seeing that I have been researching becoming a Doula, it’s something I would love to offer.
- As far as the at home recovery goes, week 1 will be in bed. I want to stay in bed for the entire first week. I plan on ensuring that the freezer is full, stocked with ready to eat meals for the first 6-8 weeks. The reason being that I am not going to have time to cook…but also I need to accept that a C-Section is a possibility in order to make sure her journey’s end is a safe one. And based on my recovery from my endometriosis surgery, very, very similar to a C-Section, I was unable to stand for more than 5 minutes at a time. Basicly long enough to pour a bowl of cereal and get back to my recliner. Week 2 will be the last week that The Hubby will be home with me, so I’d like to do one short outing but other than that, mostly snuggling with The Bump and The Hubby.
Beyond those things, I have not planned much more than that. Although I do know that:
- I do not want drugs of any kind, no interventions, pain relief or the like. If I can possibly help it.
- I will not authorize an episiotomy, under any circumstances.
- I do not want visitors in and out of the room. I know that my family will not like this, but I do hope that they understand that this is my preference, and how they feel about is not what is helping me make my decision. We are more than happy to have visitors at home, but I don’t feel comfortable with visitors at the hospital.
We have our childbirth education class this Saturday, so I am sure I will be adding to this list after that! we are going to Amma Parenting Center in Edina, MN. I am really excited about it, and have heard great things about them.
Stay tuned for more info on The Bump’s progress!